Behind the scenes with Katy Lawrence

We are so pleased to introduce Cabbages & Roses muse, photographer and filmmaker Katy Lawrence. She is the exceptional talent behind our fashion films and most recently, the Summer 2014 shoot (out soon). Katy's photos use natural light, with no added nips and tucks to the finished product. Her use of  film photography, rather than digital, creates beautifully authentic photos with a warm vintage feel.

Katy Lawrence; Self portrait



The Summer '14 shoot took place in the garden and woodlands surrounding Christina’s converted farm house in Bath. Inspired by white linens and English summers; Katy captured the carefree feeling of summer-bliss against the backdrop of wisteria, willow trees and woodland.

Preview of Summer '14 lookbook. Photo by Katy Lawrence

After the shoot I took the opportunity to talk to Katy about her personal style and inspirations. In this short interview, Katy shares a selection of her favourite photos and style tips. All photos are by Katy Lawrence, unless stated otherwise.

~

Hello Katy! Firstly, thank you for letting me pick your brain. Your personal taste falls wonderfully in line with the Cabbages & Roses style, and I couldn't be more excited for you to share your photographs and inspirations with us.  

We first met you in 2010 when you produced the first Cabbages & Roses film. What inspired you to be a  photographer / filmmaker ?

With the growth of social media I started to notice these beautiful fashion films that people were making. I remember watching them and thinking ‘I want to do that’ but I had absolutely no idea how. So I just took my best friend to Cornwall, put her in my favourite Cabbages dress, gave her some balloons and filmed her with a really simple little digital camera. I sent it off to Cabbages just to tell you how much I love your company thinking nothing would come of it and then you asked me to do a film which lead to other films which lead to this photo shoot. To this day I’m still a bit hopeless- I have absolutely no technical ability; I rely heavily on sunlight and I follow my instinct of what looks good within the frame.

Cabbages & Roses SS13; Cornwall 

Who is your absolute favourite photographer of all time?

It would have to be Tim Walker. I could sit and look at his pictures for hours. They are so witty and eccentric and so wonderfully British. I love so many of his photographs, but the Vogue shoot in India with Lily Cole is my all time favourite. 

Photo by Tim Walker

Photo by Tim Walker

Where would we find you on a lazy summer Sunday?

In London, you’d find me on Hampstead Heath reading my book or spending too much money buying flowers on Columbia Road. When I’m not working, I’ll take the sleeper train to Penzance and stay at our family cottage near Lamorna. My favourite thing to do is walk the beautiful stretch of coast between Porthgwarra and Nanjizal Cove, which is where the SS13 shoot took place.

Pedne Vounder Beach, Cornwall

West Penwith coastal path, Cornwall

What is your idea of a perfect holiday?

A French roadtrip with an old friend, sleeping under the stars, exploring rivers and lakes- wild swimming, fresh bread every day and an endless supply of peaches and Orangina

Poppy Field, L'Isle-Sur-La-Sorgue, France

L'Isle-Sur-La-Sorgue, France

Which piece from our SS14 collection best describes your personal style?

I love the bib dress and the lovely deep pockets and straps that cross over at the back. It’s so sweet and so unique. I also love the square sweaters, you can chuck them over anything and they will always look good. [Click to Shop]

The Square Sweater, Cabbages & Roses SS14 shoot, Winchelsea. Photo by Hill & Aubrey 


With such an eye for beautiful and interesting things, I can only imagine that your home is a haven of inspirational design. How do you like to decorate your home?

I love filling my bedroom with things that I pick up from my travels. Like a little handmade felt monkey from Mexico, a rose printed china bowl and an old sewing machine from a French Brocante. At the moment, I’m collecting little handmade floral tiles from a shop in St Ives. 

Photo by Wellbeck Tiles, http://www.welbeck.com/collections/vintage/ 


Do you have any style tips we can bring into our own homes?

I love hanging things about the place - jewellery, clothes and dried flowers. I also love to make photocopies of my favourite floral materials and use them to decoupage old bookshelves, wine boxes and tables. It’s very simple and easy to do.





Thank you so much to Katy for sharing her photos and thoughts. 
To see more of Katy's stuff, visit her Tumblr, Instagram or Youtube Channel

Christabel x 
  


3 comments

Marie-Claire Kingman said...

Wondeful ready and fabulous photography which I thoroughly enjoyed on a wet and windy late Spring day..thank you Katie...x

Mandy said...

I enjoyed reading this and learning about where inspiring people, such as yourself, got their start. Congratulations Katy! I hope to meet Christina and yourself someday. From the US-I've been spreading the word about Cabbages and Roses.

Bodkin said...

lovely blog thanks for sharing.pics . from hesta at bodkin